Beware of Omicron text Scam
Dear Watch Member,
Beware of Omicron text scam. It’s not just the Omicron variant that is still in circulation; there is also a scam NHS text message regarding IT too! The text message informs its recipient that they have been in contact with someone infected with Omicron and they need to apply for a test kit using a link. The link appears to be for an urgent test kit. Some of the recipients who have clicked on the link have entered their personal information and bank details after being asked to pay for postage of the kit. This is a scam. Please remember that unexpected texts may not be from whom they claim. You should never divulge any personal information or bank details after clicking on a link in an unexpected text or email. NHS contact tracers will never ask for your bank account details or for any form of payment. If unsure about a message of this nature, residents can call 119 to check with a genuine NHS professional. You can report a suspicious text message for free by forwarding it to 7726. If you forward a text to 7726, your provider can investigate the origin of the text and block or ban the sender if it’s found to be malicious. We would also advise you to report texts of this nature to Action Fraud www.actionfraud.police.uk.
FURTHER UPDATE – 04/03/22
Scam warning: COVID SMS messages
Dear Watch Member,
Watch out for fake text messages pretending to be from the NHS. Since Jan 1st, 412 victims have reported losses totalling more than £531,000.
What you need to look out for:
- Be aware of requests for personal information in messages claiming to be from the NHS.
- Be alert to links or attachments in unexpected messages claiming to be from the NHS.
- Do not respond to requests for money, bank details or passwords. The NHS will NEVER ask for payment or any financial details.
How to report scam messages:
- If you are suspicious about an email, forward it to .
- If you are suspicious about a text message, forward it to the number 7726 (it’s free of charge).
For information on NHS coronavirus testing, visit: www.nhs.uk