Gone Down a Pothole

With lock down reducing cycling has become a popular pass time resident are taking the exercise they need. One of the biggest hazards they and car drivers face is the dreaded pothole. They can damage the wheels on your cycle and car but can also cause serious injuries to cyclist and drivers.

But very few potholes are being reported to the council because residents feel it is too time consuming and not worthwhile. Unless a pothole is reported prior to an incident those cyclists or drivers who want to make a claim for damage or injury will unfortunately fail. Reporting potholes is a relatively simple process. If you have a computer, it can be done online just visit the Council Web Site and type in potholes, you will then be redirected to the appropriate area. If you do not have a computer, please let your Ward Councillor know and they will report it for you.

If you wish to make a claim there are a few key steps you need to follow.

  1. Gather evidence: if it is safe to do so, take photos of the pothole and the damaged caused. Drawing a simple sketch can also be helpful.
  2. Report the pothole: inform the council or highways agency about the pothole.
  3. Get repair quotes: included these with your claim. If the repair needs to be carried our immediately, include copies of the receipts.
  4. Make a claim: include full details of the incident, with date and time.
  5. Negotiate on cost: you may be able to negotiate any offer you receive but be aware you may not get compensation for extra travel expenses and any inconvenience caused.
  6. Consider the small claims court: If your claim is rejected and you want to use the court, seek legal advice first there may be some cost involved.

Author: Councillor Gerry O'Sullivan

Gerry is a Ward Councillor for St. Andrews & Hornchurch Resident's Association Executive member.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.